Sunday 10 November 2013

Homemade Laundry Liquid



I have been making my own laundry powder for months, I got the recipe from Rhonda Hetzel at Down to Earth, one of my favorite blogs (4 cups lux flakes or grated pure soap, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda mixed thoroughly ( use about 2 tablespoons per wash, this gives really good results but works out to about 20 cents a wash, probably not super cheap but at least you are getting a good mix with no fillers or suds enhancers) I planned to make the liquid version but kept putting in off because it just seemed too daunting.  This morning I bit the bullet as it is soooo cheap! It works out to about a cent a wash less than $2 for about 10 litres.

From beginning to end it took about 25 minutes to have it made and bottled.

Stir over low heat 1 cup pure soap flakes, 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup washing soda mixed with 1 1/2 litres water till everything is dissolved

Add soap mixture to about 8 litres of water in a 10 litre bucket.   Stir thoroughly


pour into a jug for easy decanting into bottles or containers stirring before each jug full                

Within about 20 minutes I had almost 10 litres of washing liquid ready to use

The big bottles are to store in a cupboard and the smaller glass bottles for display on the laundry bench along with my glass jar of home made washing powder. This will probably last the two of us a year, so that is a very economical 25 minute investment.
Thanks Rhonda!

No comments:

Post a Comment